Thursday, August 21, 2008

Hiatus

Retired Educator here,

I am having surgery Monday to remove an infected shoulder prosthesis. No one was able to tell me whether or not I will have internet access if I bring my computer. The closest intel was "Well, I know that we are a wired hospital because we have these things everywhere!"

Huh. I anticipate major 'puter withdrawal. The distraction would have been nice and I also was looking forward to blogging the patient-side of a hospitalization -- now that I am more familiar with the major gripes let off by medical types, I think it could be an interesting exercise.

Yes, thank you very much, I know that there is nothing preventing me from taking notes, even sketching the pieces out long-hand. I can still do it. Still -- stop trying to solve my problems, you people, you! I need to fuel useless angst -- it serves to crowd out the more dire reality! You're just messing with my Trojan Horse of Denial.

I'll be in the hospital between 5 days and several weeks, according to the surgeon. According to his nurse, I'll be there 3 days. I'm thinking she probably knows best. They will put in a cement spacer that is laced with antibiotic -- after a "few months" that can be replaced with a new prosthesis. I'll also get i.v. antibiotics through a PICC line. My orthopedic surgeon, however, seems intent on depressing me further by saying, and saying again, that I could end up "without a shoulder joint." There is nothing someone who is already a geeky gimp stuck in a wheelchair wants to hear more! Excuse me while I panic.

I couldn't even get him to give me odds. That's low, when someone won't even give you odds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Haddock Corporation's newest dictate: Anonymous comments are no longer allowed. It is easy enough to register and just takes a moment. We look forward to hearing from you non-bots and non-spammers!