Monday, June 7, 2010

Unnaturally Red Serranos


Well, I am either insane or so mentally healthy I ought to bottle myself.

How would you react to hearing your doctor suggest the removal of both of your shoulders, as well as your left arm? Further, how do you think you'd feel when, hardly skipping a beat, this talented physician proposed amputating a leg, "sooner rather than later"?

Granted, he's pulled the "off with her leg" stunt before.

My reaction was a wide, scary grin and the sing-song pronouncement that "I'm not ready for that, okay? Let's talk about that next time, okay? Okay?" -- after which I did the only logical thing and went shopping.

Nothing crazy -- more's the pity -- just groceries. But our cart contained some telling elements by the time we hit the checkout line:

Habaneros and Scotch bonnet peppers;
Pickled jalapeños, fresh jalapeños, and the lovely smoke-dried chipotles;
Big, beautiful, fragrant, deep black-green poblanos;
Unnaturally red serranos.

1 comment:

  1. All to serve to the doctor?

    Oh my... I can't imagine.

    When I was a ten, my mother had me memorize the first part of Keat's "A Thing of Beauty Is a Joy Forever,"
    and I thought it was incredibly lame, especially the bit about "a bower quiet for us, and a sleep full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing"--
    not really designed to please a kid,
    but I wish it for you and Fred.

    Also, cats sitting in boxes. (These almost make me believe in a kind Creator.)

    ReplyDelete

The Haddock Corporation's newest dictate: Anonymous comments are no longer allowed. It is easy enough to register and just takes a moment. We look forward to hearing from you non-bots and non-spammers!