Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Bert Jansch (3 November 1943 – 5 October 2011)




Uploaded by  on Jul 16, 2009
From the record L.A. Turnaround by Bert Jansch 1973. With Red Rhodes on Pedal Steel. Producer Mike Nesmith.





Like a high stepping pony strutting and prancing

Ah she's so full of life

Sparkling with tiny red roses
Let there be music to please her
Let it be sunbright to light up her day
Let the moon light her night
And fill her with deep silent sleepiness
If I were a small bird so tiny
I'd hide in her hair just to be near her
To hear her sweet voice
And feel her sweet body beside me
And if I were a high lord with riches
I'd clothe her in satin from India's far highlands
I would shoe her in gold
Then invite her to sit at my table
Step out young lady a-dancing
To the sound of sweet music so gaily come singing
For your beauty so rare
Is as fresh as a sweet Sunday morning





Uploaded by  on Mar 29, 2009
"An instrumental guitar duet between Bert Jansch & John Renbourn. It was originally on Bert Jansch's "It Don't Bother Me" and their duo album "Bert & John" which were both released in 1965. It ended up on many other albums, including a compilation of Jansch material which featured this as the title track, released in 1969. A little ironic considering that all the credits I've seen for the composition point to John Renbourn."



Uploaded by  on May 25, 2007




Uploaded by  on May 12, 2009
"Here's another clip from Dreamweaver, the Bert Jansch documentary (2000). Reynardine is a traditional English ballad that was first released by Bert on his album Rosemary Lane (1971)."

According to Wikipedia "in versions most commonly sung and recorded today, Reynardine is a werefox who attracts beautiful women to him so that he can take them away to his castle. What fate meets them there is usually left ambiguous."







One evening as I rambled
Among the leaves so green
I overheard a young woman
Converse with Reynardine


Her hair was black, her eyes were blue
Her lips as red as wine
And he smiled to gaze upon her
Did that sly old Reynardine


She said, "Kind sir, be civil
My company forsake
For in my own opinion
I fear you are some rake"


"Oh no," he said, "no rake am I
Brought up in Venus' train
But I'm seeking for concealment
All along the lonesome plane"


"Your beauty so enticed me
I could not pass it by
So it's with my gun I'll guard you
All on the mountains high"


"And if by chance you should look for me
Perhaps you'll not me find
For I'll be in my castle
Inquire for Reynardine"


Sun and dark, she followed him
His teeth did brightly shine
And he led her up a-the mountains
Did that sly old Reynardine

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Haddock Corporation's newest dictate: Anonymous comments are no longer allowed. It is easy enough to register and just takes a moment. We look forward to hearing from you non-bots and non-spammers!