Thursday, December 25, 2008

War is over if you want it

Happy Christmas (War Is Over)

So this is Christmas
And what have you done
Another year over
And a new one just begun
And so this is Christmas
I hope you have fun
The near and the dear ones
The old and the young

{Refrain}
A very merry Christmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear


And so this is Christmas
For weak and for strong
For rich and the poor ones
The road is so long
And so happy Christmas
For black and for white
For yellow and red ones
Let's stop all the fight

{Refrain}

And so this is Christmas
And what have we done
Another year over
And a new one just begun
And so happy Christmas
I hope you have fun
The near and the dear one
The old and the young

{Refrain}

War is over if you want it
War is over now

--John Lennon, Yoko Ono

photo credit

3 comments:

  1. Bonjour, Madame.

    I wandered over here because of your comment at

    http://voodoomedicineman.blogspot.com/2008/12/on-bastardization-of-language.html.

    I was feeling a bit lonely there.

    Thanks for introducing me to Joual -- I'd never heard of it. Not surprising, since I'm a life-long Californian.

    Many of the commenters at VMM bring to mind the concept of The arrogance of ignorance

    the paradox that the people who know the least about a subject are often disproportionately confident in their mastery of it.

    I wonder if you know the blog Language Log? You might find the postings there intriguing.

    Reading through a bit of your blog posts, I see that your physical condition is .... a bit challenging.

    As the nights shorten and the days lengthen, I extend the hope that all improves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I had to do a bit of Google searching to figure out "Tête de Hergé". I had a vague association with something French and cartoony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz,

    "French and cartoony," Hergé might've liked that... though he was belge!

    I confess to being thin-skinned around the medic crowd, yet they are sorta cute, in an assuming kind of way. They see themselves as cultural cowboys and rarely argue without throwing everything they can think of at a topic -- sort of like tossing spaghetti on the wall to see if it's done.

    Thanks for the blog recommendations -- I will try to check them out.

    Nice to meet you!

    Be well
    Prof

    ReplyDelete

The Haddock Corporation's newest dictate: Anonymous comments are no longer allowed. It is easy enough to register and just takes a moment. We look forward to hearing from you non-bots and non-spammers!