Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The "Beware" List (Nascent)



Beware of blogs or "about me" blurbs that use the following words/phrasings/formats; Put on your sneakers when visiting bloggeurs who use them in clever combination:

musing(s)
bemused musings
ramblings
Patel
He's a maverick!
vagaries
random musings/observations
long lists of favorite Twitter threads (a you-had-to-be-there situation, if ever there was one...)
thinking outside the box
one has to wonder
(more than one exclamation point) !!!
(excess of ellipses........)
(dash happiness -- -- -- !!)
aka (when used lazily)
adventures of
vox
just FYI
ersatz
irked
nary a (care, sound, thought)
missive
tome
I [just] want to say that...
I think that...
at the end of the day (or) revisionist history
and thus, although x, I y...
I just threw up a little bit in my mouth
notes from...
INCESSANT caps THAT lose their EFFECT, BOLDED and ITALICIZED, sometimes RED
a day in the life
the life and times of...
innovative solutions for wound management
synergy
the caucasian "yo"
yada yada; yadda yadda
various citations of authority (such as Latin pomposities and French cartoonists)
wambam or wham bam or any variation thereof
thereof
poo/pee
to wit
AWESOME
sooooooooo
WTF
Rush Limbaugh/puff pastry
kerfuffle
It's a Wonderful Life/World (text or audio)
wait for it
oedema
hehehe
pretentious use of foreign languages
one. word. sentences.
the liberal media
meta
mainstream media
meh
i'm just sayin'
yawn
truth to power
vox populi
over exagerrating
spot on
rogue
I, for one...
LOL (>2/para)
lest
x and y notwithstanding
in comment threads: I LOVE what you said. (person promptly repeats "whatever was said that is soooo loved.")
"the fear shoots through me like an arrow piercing through to the other side and out again" (wounded similes)
back in the day
"i saw a coked up deejay get a blow job from bianca jagger." (just seeing if you're still there! it's a direct quote from jon stewart.)







*Yes, I am guilty of using a good number of the stuff listed above. Mea culpa, oy!

3 comments:

  1. A-ha! I see BELGIAN cartoonists are not on the list!!!
    I just want to say that I LOVE this list of commonly mis- or overused bon mots. Spot on! but one has to wonder if you have not overlooked "bwa-ha-ha," or whichever or its many vagaries of spellings is employed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. But I'm not giving up "kerfuffle," even if it is a persona non grata.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harumph.
    (Oh, I forgot "harumph"!)
    Fresca, ma chère, there aren't any Belgian cartoonists... --- !!!
    It's a genetic thing, I believe.

    ReplyDelete

The Haddock Corporation's newest dictate: Anonymous comments are no longer allowed. It is easy enough to register and just takes a moment. We look forward to hearing from you non-bots and non-spammers!