Thursday, May 20, 2010

Crazy Love

Wow. I just watched Crazy Love, Dan Klores' 2007 documentary about Burt and Linda Pugach.

It was difficult to watch. I watched it alone.

As someone who survived a serious incidence of stalking, I failed to find the outcome cute, or redemptive, or however I am supposed to feel about it. Many people apparently find the story funny.

My stalker did not survive -- and he meant for me not to survive, as well. I didn't come close to smiling as I watched Crazy Love.

The image of Linda Riss' acid-scarred face and burnt out eyes will likely be with me for days, as will the sound of the two of them laughing -- fairly clucking over his familiar threats to harm his secretary, for which he was tried, and mostly acquitted, in 1997.

There at the end, as the two embark on a cruise, aged hipsters in their hipster threads, we are treated to a brief clip of a lounge singer crooning I Wish I Never Saw the Sunshine...

It was heartbreakingly apt, and beautiful. Here is Beth Orton's version of the Phil Spector song -- I looked at several videos and somehow preferred this one, even with, and maybe because of, the noise and anonymity of the bar.





Baby do you know what you did today?

Baby do you know what you took away?

You took the blue out of the sky
My whole life changed when you said goodbye
And I keep cryin'...cryin'

Oooh baby, oooh baby I wish I never saw the sunshine
I wish I never saw the sunshine
And if I never saw the sunshine baby
Then maybe...I wouldn't mind the rain

Every day is just like the day before
All alone, a million miles from shore
All of my dreams, I dream with you
Now they will die and never come true
And I keep cryin'...cryin'

Oooh baby, oooh baby I wish I never saw the sunshine
I wish I never saw the sunshine
And if I never saw the sunshine baby
Then maybe...I wouldn't mind the rain
This pain...

And I know there would not be
This cloud that's over me...everywhere I go

Oooh baby, oooh baby I wish I never saw the sunshine
I wish I never saw the sunshine
And if I never saw the sunshine baby
Then maybe...I wouldn't mind the rain
This pain...I wouldn't mind the rain
There wouldn't be this pain
I wouldn't mind the rain
...wouldn't mind the rain



*for b.g.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Haddock Corporation's newest dictate: Anonymous comments are no longer allowed. It is easy enough to register and just takes a moment. We look forward to hearing from you non-bots and non-spammers!