Monday, November 24, 2008

The Yuck-Yuck Factor


I am writing this here so as to not write it there. Yeah, I would be the crying unicorn, the knee-jerk liberal, the Obama-loving nitwit.

What is the deal with the paranoid conservative bent so common with emergency medical professionals, particularly the ambulance boys and girls?

Actually, I have reached the point in my life where I don't pursue certain topics with others of a profoundly different take on things, unless I know that the person with whom I am speaking is capable of suspending their beliefs for the sake of examining them by argument. That doesn't happen very often.

So I rarely go berserk about the death penalty, abortion, gun rights, or obvious politicking.

But I am tired this morning. And I just don't care. What kind of an asshole would choose to write: "Yesterday, on Saturday, 22 of November in the Year of Our Lord 2008... Sarah Brady died a little inside"?

I mean, it is not as if AD doesn't have an incredible readership. On Google Reader alone, there are 674 subscribers, better than I have seen at some equally well-written medical scribe spots. His latest post will get lots of yuck-yuck visitors, so if that's his need, his need will be met. I just thought he was more responsible -- an attribute one hopes belongs to every gun-owner.

Is it fun to hurt other people?

Not with guns, I mean, but with words?

Words are powerful weapons. The recoil, alone, is crushing. The yuck-yuck is just... well, childish comes to mind -- but isn't quite accurate. Gleeful? Yes, it is glee -- not unlike the kind I have observed in highschoolers. Unadulterated joy at sticking it to someone, at laughing at the ready-made arguments, believing that, by doing so, those (liberal/other) values are rendered invalid. But -- and I really want to know the answer to this question -- what is accomplished, what thought or opinion is advanced, by base meanness? If someone thinks to answer me by saying that I have no sense of humor, or that I need to get laid, or that I am just incapable of understanding, please don't bother.

You might be surprised about some of my beliefs. I understand that I need to remain open to surprise when thinking of the monolithic "you." I promise that I will, because fairness is crucial. But that's not going to be happening today. Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow -- I will retrieve that hallmark attribute of leftists everywhere: openness to diversity, and the accompanying usual yadda.

Tell me, is March 30, 1981, a Feast Day?

O Come, All Ye Faithful.

1 comment:

  1. I won't presume to speak for AD. The desire to control others really irritates me. I can empathize with Sarah Brady, and I have tremendous sympathy for her situation. Her efforts, though, insofar as they impinge on freedom for the sake of feeling safer (not actually being, but feeling safer) I deplore. I have scorn for her methods, but not for her or her motives.

    That said, Mrs. Brady has a valid beef. I wish she would direct her not inconsiderable efforts towards better care for the mentally ill.

    ReplyDelete

The Haddock Corporation's newest dictate: Anonymous comments are no longer allowed. It is easy enough to register and just takes a moment. We look forward to hearing from you non-bots and non-spammers!