Sunday, February 15, 2009

R.I.C.E? Not the *best* idea!

I have meant to do this several times and forgot -- there is still an Ian over at ImpactEDNurse and he seems energized, having left his job in the Emergency Department and moved on to be a stellar member of his hospital's Medical Emergency Team.

Still didactic, but in a caring/sharing way, I was really surprised by the latest research he showcased on caring for sprained ankles:


Its funny how something we consider best practice will often be replaced by
something we previously considered worst practice.


In a new study of 600 patients published in the Lancet, a below knee cast has been found to be more effective than a compression bandage in the management of sprained ankle.

In fact, a tubular compression bandage, combined with ice, elevation and advice to mobilize as soon as possible (which is pretty much current practice), was consistently found to be the worst treatment of all those examined.


Yes, I know I said I was done blogging until after surgery. Well, kiss my grits! I am overwhelmed at the moment with getting my life in order -- before I go to the hospital, the ducks, they are in a row! The house clean. The important papers easily found but not glaringly obvious. Bills paid. Small bag packed.

I never know whether to bring my computer or not. It physically hurts to use it and it is undoubtedly stupid, as it could easily "walk" away. So... decision! It stays home.

I need to luxuriate in Hibiclens... Wash and condition the crowning glory hair... Figure out what would be fairly healthy and yet extremely comforting to eat before going NPO at midnight... Help the Fredster with whatever organizational issues remain... and I need to sleep. I usually don't, so why I think tonight will be any different, I've no clue.

And so ends a post about how happy I am that Ian is back, and without ever really going away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Haddock Corporation's newest dictate: Anonymous comments are no longer allowed. It is easy enough to register and just takes a moment. We look forward to hearing from you non-bots and non-spammers!