Sunday, April 19, 2009

Cry Me A River ::: Susan Boyle

Wow. At first, I didn't recognize her voice but about a third of a way in... Yes, that is her.

It is still very difficult to believe that this is an untrained voice -- but the more biographical articles continue to insist upon it.

The frumpiness, I believe, and hope that they will leave Ms. Boyle to her own frumpitudinal devices. If she wants to make herself over, cool. Pluck that brow! Style that hair! If she doesn't, I believe the world has learned the heavy-handed Book/Cover lesson. Oh, who am I kidding? We've learned the lesson only as it applies to *her*.

There were only 1000 copies made of the 1999 charity album -- funded in part by the Whitburn Community Council in West Lothian, where there must be something in the water.... I'd pay top dollar to hear The Broxburn Public Band cover Bohemian Rhapsody.

Doesn't every copy have a master? Let's start pressing those babies!

I know so little about music, only what the Brother-Units taught me, and what Fred has spent years refining (He is a Recovering Audiophile), and yet, like anyone, I know what I like. I like this version of Cry Me A River, and am astonished by things like her phrasing and -- perhaps most astonishingly? Her *restraint* -- the lack of which ruins a good many bluesy ballad.

Those who can, sing. Those who can't? The blither and blather on about phrasing and restraint.

In summation: Wow.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's an amazing delivery. And I am really happy to see this notation by you, because it was the first thing I noticed in the photo of the CD cover.

    "I'd pay top dollar to hear The Broxburn Public Band cover Bohemian Rhapsody."

    Although I thought you wrote "I'd pay a thousand dollars" and I thought, I can get behind that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cardiogirl --

    Ha! I'd be my best friend if I were throwing around thousands of bucks...

    Hmm. That reminds me that I need to hit someone in this drafty Manor up for some cash. Do you know how many dollars go down the drain to pay for stupid things like PARKING? (Of course, you do! I am just venting...)

    Yes, isn't this version of "Cry me a river" amazing? Fred even opined that it was the "best version [he had] ever heard." Amazing praise. I don't know about that -- in things musical, I just go happily with whatever suits my fancy in the moment.

    In honor of Ms. Boyle, I have held several eyebrow plucking sessions. Now I look perpetually surprised...

    ReplyDelete

The Haddock Corporation's newest dictate: Anonymous comments are no longer allowed. It is easy enough to register and just takes a moment. We look forward to hearing from you non-bots and non-spammers!