Tuesday, April 21, 2009

You and Your Breasts

Yoo hoo! Over here, over here!

You probably know this already. I didn't.

I was cruising around over at YouTube, watching very sober, intellectual-type videos that all involved, for some inexplicable reason, seriously cute kittens (my preferred sort of Talking Head: The Feline Pundit).

Then it happened. It happens a few times a day. For someone like me? That means daily surprise...

Directed-at-me advertising (also known as: targeted, customer-directed marketing).

I hate it. Rather than broadening my horizons, these ads do nothing but remind me of restrictions, limitations, foreshortening -- "the effect of perspective causes distortion." Do I want to be reminded that my browsing choices reflect an intense interest in things like low carb snack foods, veterinary anesthetics, neurological disease, Indonesian wedding cake decorating, kitty litter (and other human-oriented bowel regimens)?

In addition to holding the key to my personal financial future, Google just plain impresses me, which is, of course, why it remains my favorite bit of equity.

Anyway, I saw a link that I'd never noticed before that took me gently by the puffy hand and led me to: YouTube Interest-based Advertising and You.

This reminds me of one of The Fredster's favorite Early Job stories. He was working as an engineer for a smarmy doctor, T.R. Shantha, M.D., who owned a collection of rental properties and motels. (This guy was -- rather belatedly -- convicted of medical fraud just two years ago. He did things like infuse patients with hydrogen peroxide. His clinic laid claim to "safe and effective, nontoxic, scientifically-based alternative” medicine that could “cure or control most cancer and other chronic disease.") Shantha was incredibly money-hungry*. He authored several erudite monographs, of which Fred retains one exceedingly rare copy that we hope to be able to cash in for a small fortune some future rainy day: You and Your Breasts.

Until that time, it will remain one of our most consulted works of reference.

(Choo! Choo? Have you seen my train of thought?)

Back to YouTube. The next click led me to Google Ads Preferences which, in turn, led me through the steps necessary to opt out of interest-based advertising!

Then, loving my readership as I do, I rushed "here" to tell youse guys about it in my usual, straight-up, clear-as-crystal way.

If you are bugged by ads purporting to represent your burning interests, this is one way to blend back into the tepid sea of anonymity.

*Umm, Fred quit when approached to burn out a family behind in their rent. Not in the job description. (Not to worry, My Guy did the right thing...)

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on taking control of your online privacy!

    If you want to take it all the way, visit the privacychoice opt-out wizard, where you can opt out of 50 more networks with one-click. Opt-out joy!

    http://www.privacychoice.org

    ReplyDelete

The Haddock Corporation's newest dictate: Anonymous comments are no longer allowed. It is easy enough to register and just takes a moment. We look forward to hearing from you non-bots and non-spammers!